Friday, March 03, 2006

Designer Challenge

What do you do when you have a design background and a $20,000 budget to make over an office? You've been mandated to use "sustainable design" and try to make it "not cookie cutter."
My response was to hire a professional.

O.M.G. I am learning so much!

Did you know it's normal for contractors not to return phone calls?
Did you know that no matter how low a price you quote something, your designer or contractor will say "Mai Gai can do it cheaper/better"? Who is this "Mai Gai"? And why does everyone but me already know him?
Don't be afraid of color doesn't mean we're using something bright and/or edgy. "Don't be afraid of color" means the contractor is going to try to charge you double for taping and prep work he didn't do, a second or third coat of paint you don't need and didn't ask for, and a textured finish you specifically gave instructions to avoid.
"We're going to give the carpet movement" means the designer is having the carpet installer cut out an abstract design with contrasting colors so you have to follow her furniture plan. It also means they can charge an extra thousand dollars for the install and will add a week to the install because you're going to have to wait for each color to arrive in SEPARATE SHIPMENTS.
No matter what budget controls you have in place, your designer and contractor will find a way to push past it. (like excersise cramps or a headache) Always be wary of conversations that start with "I know it's a little late in the game, but..." but don't shoot it down out-of-hand. If you are the flexible type, sometimes that phrase can save you money.

I know I may sound bitter, but I was supposed to move into our new office 6 weeks ago and now won't be able to move in for another two weeks. My desk hasn't been built yet and our designer is still suggesting furniture alternatives (but we allowed that last part because it is actually saving us money). I should be grateful this is just the office and not my home...my boss is remodeling his home and they can't get a cotnractor to return a phone call let alon finish the bathroom. HIS boss paid a contractor to do some exterior work and hasn't seen the guy since. I am grateful.
Really.
Counting the days til we move....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all constructive feedback. If you are abusive or spam, your comments will be deleted. Also, I am moderating comments (pretty normal, right?) so it might take a day or two for what you have to say to make t into the feed. Thanks.